Wednesday, August 11, 2010

This was a tough one. Could be legit. Not likely. But it required some inquiry. We started with this:


On Aug 9, 2010, at 3:50 AM, Jenifer Lee wrote:

I will like you to help me for a legal matter, please let me kow if you are ok with working with me, i will like to send you informations but let me hear from you first later i send informations.

Thank you for your time and hope to hear from you.
Regards,
Jenifer Lee


So I write back asking more information. Then we get the classic phishing line. If you kick around the site a bit you recognize this is just a redraft of the classic Family Lawyer scam.



Dear You,
I was Referred by George P. Kickliter and He told me to contact you. I am currently living in Japan and my husband live in Nebraska. I tried calling a couple of times and with the time difference(+13hrs EST) it is a little bit difficult to pick the best time to hit on phone you vice verse. We agreed under Collaborative Law Agreement for a one time cash settlement of $450,000.00 usd to his credit, he has paid me $104,000.00 usd but still owing $346,000.00 usd He is aware of my intention to seek legal actions .The lawyer that helped me with the matter earlier is retired now. I will be pleased to provide further information on this matter on request.I expect this to be a non-litigation matter. please let me know if you can handle this and also i would provide the Collaborative Law Agreement to you and also employ your service which would be duly paid for. Thank you and have a pleasant day.


Regards,
Jenifer


leejen@w.cn

1 comment:

  1. This is a new one we got this week, I wasn't sure if it was a scam or not at first.
    Dear Counsel,
    I am in need of a lawyer ,to handle separation and divorce matters.
    Please get back to me for more details.
    Regards,
    Lucy Wu
    I asked for more info and received this along with a PDF of a Settlement Agreement:
    Dear Counsel,
    My name is Mrs. Lucy Wu I was married to my husband Paul Wu under common marriage law (who lives in your jurisdiction) for 22yrs, we mutually agreed under the terms of a separation agreement to go our separate ways. Paul has defaulted and not complied with terms of the agreement under section E.
    I will be providing further information upon your request. I believe that one of the reasons he has defaulted is because I have relocated to London. I understand that being out of the country does not automatically void the agreement as he is still a resident of your country and resides in your jurisdiction. Prior to our separation due to irreconcilable differences, I was a full time house wife to carter for our only child. Please get back to me if this is a case you can undertake as I am hereby seeking your firm to assist in enforcing the terms of our separation agreement in court and also help me finalize our divorce legally.
    Lastly, find attached copy of the agreement signed between my husband and I. Let me know your thoughts.
    Sincerely,
    Mrs. Lucy Wu
    +44 7526305058
    I asked her what the jurisdiction was, since she hadn't mentioned a county before and we got this:
    Dear Counsel,
    I am most eager to proceed with divorce and follow up with the terms of the agreement.
    My husband currently resides in barrow county Georgia. If you can help me please quote your fee and have your retainer agreement sent to my attention via email for review and signing.
    Regards,
    Lucy.
    So, I asked for address of both witnesses to the settlement agreement, as well as her husbands and her full contact information and just as we suspected, no reply.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete